Sunday, April 10, 2011

When God says, "Oh tut, tut."

If anyone reads my facebook statuses enough, they will know that I like quotes. I recently stumbled over a quote by Maya Angelou, the author of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, that said, "A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her." For some reason this just struck home with me. I tend to have the problem of pursuing guys instead of letting them pursue me. I get all these ideas of what a relationship should look like and let my thoughts carry me away. Instead of doing this, I need to be seeking after God. Sometimes I feel like God looks at me and just says, "Martha, martha. You are worried about many things" (Luke 10:41). I get so wrapped up in my own little world and my own little ideas that I forget that he's got me! He holds me in the palm of my hand... why would I be concerned about anything? Compared to the God who created the universe with words, who breathed and life came into existence, and who came back from the dead, my worries about not finding a husband are insulting. He looks at me and says, "Really? Really? You don't think I can take that after parting the Red Sea (Ex. 14) and making a pile of bones into a freaking Irobot army(Ezekiel 37)? Oh tut, tut. Have a little faith." And that's exactly what I need. I want to pursue God. That's it. I don't want to get wrapped up in everything else, I just want him.