Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Easier Said Than Done

In todays world, most people tend to have a very temporary mindset. When they get a soda in a paper cup from McDonalds, they don't plan to go home and wash it to re-use later. They get it with the mindset that they'll throw it away when they're finished with it. Technology is always being updated and the old replaced with newer, shinier, smaller, better, and faster. And sometimes, this even carries over to people. Why do so many marriages end in divorce? Granted, not every divorce is the result of the partners "growing apart," or "falling out of love," but too many of them are. Whatever happened to "til death do us part" and "happily ever after"?

Recently I've been reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and I came across a chapter called "Christian Marriage" that speaks on this topic. There are several excellent quotes in the book, but one in particular that caught my eye was one that said, "The promise made when I am in love and because I am in love, to be true to the beloved as long as I live, commits me to being true even when I cease to be in love" (107). I'm not speaking from experience, but simple from what God desires. No one is perfect. There will be times of annoyance, anger, and frustration. There may even come a time when you feel like you are no longer in love. But, "...ceasing to be "in love" need not mean ceasing to love"(109). Continue to love like Christ no matter what. Easier said than done, I know. But remember: Christ did not leave you at the first sign of hardship. He demonstrated the ultimate sacrifice by dying for you. He didn't go to the cross smiling and happy. I'm sure that he did not "feel" like dying or "feel" like being beaten. How much more should we sacrifice and continue to love, despite our feelings?