Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just Keep Swimming: Lessons from Freshie


Last week my roommates and I broke down and got a fish. He is a really beautiful beta fish that we decided to call Freshie M.E.B. Freshie since we got him when we were freshman(original... I know) and M.E.B. for Melodie, Elizabeth and Bethany. So we put him in his little tank and got him all settled and everything. We were so excited to watch him swim around his little tank but to our dismay, we discovered that Freshie isn't really the swimming type. Most of the day he spends hiding under his little fake plant. Just sitting. And sitting. We checked - he's not dead. He just doesn't do anything.
I think I do this sometimes. Here's what I mean: God has created me to be used by him to further his kingdom. I don't know exactly what that looks like but I do know it involves sharing him with other people, being an encouragement, and serving others. Yet somehow, I think a lot of my life involves me hiding. Instead of taking the time to get to know people, sometimes I'm satisfied with a casual friendship. Instead of taking a couple hours to volunteer, I take a nap. Instead of taking the time to ask someone if they really are fine, I just keep on walking. It's easier to be inactive. But it's not what God has created us for.
So take the extra time, get off your butts and start being the kind of Christians God has called us to be. This means verbs: Active, serve, love, share. James 2 tells us that faith without deeds is dead. That means if you're just calling yourself a Christian but aren't really acting like one, you might as well not be a Christian at all. Harsh, I know. But God doesn't play games when it comes to us living for him. When he says our bodies are to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), he means it.
Instead of following Freshie, take a look at what another familiar fish said: Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming :) Thanks, Dorry.