Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Worship God with Your Body

Imagine that my birthday is coming up. You think long and hard about what to get me and you finally decide to make something for me. You hop in the car to Michaels and while browsing you remember that I like to write and draw. So you decide that a journal/sketchbook would be the perfect gift for me! You buy a blank journal, some scrap booking paper, ribbon, and even some stickers. When you get home, you work for hours to make me the best journal that you can. You've thought about my favorite flowers, animals, colors, and incorporated all of them into the journal. My birthday finally comes around and you are so excited to see my reaction to the gift you had worked so hard on. You're smiling as you hand me the wrapped present, but your smile quickly fades when I open it and say,
This is ugly. I wish you had gotten me something else.
As rude and selfish as that response may seem, it struck me that I say this everyday. Whhhhhhhaaaat??? Yes, and so do you. Every time that you look into the mirror and say, "I wish I didn't look this way," "I wish I was ___________(thinner, stronger, smaller, bigger, you name it!)" you are complaining to God about a gift he made for you. Granted, maybe you haven't taken care of the body that he gave you. Maybe you've taken that journal and let it gather dust or let your kids use it as a coloring book. So what? Instead of staring at yourself in the mirror and complaining, get up and do something. God gave us each a body to use to worship him. Be grateful that God has give you another opportunity to worship him by using the body that he gave you. Isn't that a crazy thought? Just like you would be happy if you saw me writing or drawing in my journal, God is pleased when we use our bodies and keep them in shape. Here are some great ways to incorporate exercise into your daily life!
1. Walk around while you're talking on the phone
2. Need to spend more time with your kids? Go for a walk or a hike instead of popping in a movie this Friday!
3. Skip the drive-thru! Park and walk in to get your food.
4. Park in a far away parking spot at the grocery store so that you'll have to walk farther.
5. Take the stairs
6. Instead of going to a movie with your buddies, go on a bike ride, or play tennis!
7. Buy an inexpensive pedometer to track your steps - you should get 10,000 per day! Try to beat yourself.
8. Do squats while you brush your teeth :)
9. Do calf raises while you wash the dishes
10. If you have to go up the stairs to get something, go up an extra time.
11. See how many jumping jacks you can do when commercials come on TV.
12. If you are at your kids soccer game, pace back and forth! You'll look like a really involved parent and get exercise :)
Ways to worship while you work out!
1. Make a list of things you are thankful for when taking a walk.
2. Listen to great music! http://www.spiritfitmusic.com/ has some slower tunes and http://christiandubstep.wordpress.com/music-downloads/ has some faster paced stuff!
3. Pray during your warm up and cool down
4. Memorize scripture when you're doing yoga!
5. Listen to sermons during a trip to the gym.
All in all, be grateful for the body that you have and worship God by doing your best to use it as often as you can! Be encouraged that every day is a new day. If you struggle with it one day, his mercies are new every morning! You can't change what you did yesterday, but you can take charge of today. http://www.bhg.com/health-family/fitness/workouts-programs/25-easy-ways-to-get-exercise/#page=4