Sunday, October 23, 2011

God, You are Faithful!

This morning, God used a simple message from church to reach my heart. Today we were talking about God as the Lord of Hosts. We started off with several obscure passages but ended up with the well-known story of David and Goliath in I Samuel 17. A lot of times when it comes to the more "popular" stories in the Bible, I tune out because in my pride I think that God can't possibly have anything new to teach me. Today God showed me how very wrong and prideful I am to think such a thing.

One of my biggest struggles right now is my finances. Every time a new semester rolls around, I go through a cycle of worry and prayer, asking God to provide for me. I have a hard time trusting him and believing that he will, despite the fact that he has provided for me countless times in the past. I worry about paying for books, tuition, and supplies for art for weeks. Time and time again, he always blows my worries away with a laugh and shows me that he is there for me.

Today we read these verses that caught my attention:

You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of host... This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand!
I Samuel 17: 45-46ish

David is talking to a freakishly huge giant with big muscles, and even bigger weapons. Goliath could have squashed him like a bug, but here he is standing up to him and telling him off. The people on the sidelines must have thought he was insane! And yet he wasn't. Why? Because he understood something that Goliath didn't. Victory is not determined by the size of your enemies, but by the size of your allies. God was on his side! When the armies of the living God stand up behind you, there is no way that you can fail. Romans 8:31-32 sums it up by saying,
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

God, the creator of the universe and sustainer of all things, the one who sent his own son to die a brutal death on a cross just so that I could have the opportunity to have a relationship with him, is taking care of me. THAT is the God that I serve. He can and he will provide for me, excedingly and abundantly beyond all that I could ever ask for or imagine (Eph. 3:20).